Thursday, January 14, 2016

"Vicki"



Sitting at my desk now I am both mentally, emotionally and physically exhausted at the roller coaster of joy and tribulations I've experienced over the past 3 days. I've also had some great times of connecting meaningfully with people here.

Here's a report from Tuesday Jan. 12:

Work was thankfully quite calm and I had a great opportunity late morning over "Chai" to get to know Dr. Terer, the family medicine physician who is one of the attendings on Peds right now. He is such a wise and kind human being, not to mention a talented and skilled physician. We chatted a lot about the importance of the spiritual health of our patients and he talked on and on about how important it is to pray for patients and to address the spiritual component of their illnesses. He prays everyday for his patients. He actually began as a nurse in the nursery/NICU and then decided to become a physician. He was in charge of resident education at Tenwek for a while and then decided to complete a masters in family medicine (equivalent to a residency). His heart is in Ob and Peds but he attends on surgery and medicine as well, and he also works in many satellite clinics in the community where he has gathered quite a following. He is highly revered by the staff and patients and entire community surrounding Tenwek, which I know he is embarrassed to admit. He even delivered babies of some of the nurses on the Peds wards. We even got around to talking about my personal life and I was humbled by his prayers for my spiritual health, professional success,  and even for my relational health and future spouse! (He offered that I meet his younger brother....haha)

I noted his approach to holistic and family centered care later that day in the NICU when he noticed that the mother of a baby had a foley (bladder catheter) bag peeking underneath her hospital gown, a detail I'm sure everyone else had not noticed. He took the time to inquire about her medical condition and plan of care. 

The wise Dr. Elijah Terer and over Chair. My favorite time of day!

Joining a few of my patients out in the sun


Isack and his beautiful new "mother" at his orphanage. Glad he got to go home today!

Timothy, one of the medical students on Peds.

Little Mark and his family. His family patiently waiting as we try to figure out why he has heart failure. We awaiting his family to find funds so he can get a chest CT.

A few local girls I stumbled upon as they came home from school


Tuesday finished off as a day of very memorable adventure and spontaneity. After work I went wandering the nearby shops and after spotting a local tailor decided to inquire about whether it was possible if she or someone nearby could make a Kenyan skirt for me. I have been drawn to the beautiful, colorful skies and dresses I've seen many of the women wear here and have been wanting to have one made from some local fabric. I asked the woman and she said she could definitely make one for me. A girl that spends time at a shop nearby saw my need and immediately offered to help. She remembered me from a few days ago when I was looking for an ATM! Her name is Vicki and she is a true angel, one of the sweetest people I've met. She advised that I look at one of two nearby towns, Bomet or Silibwet for fabric and she offered to go with me to find fabric right then and there! We ended up taking a "Boda Boda" or small motorcycle/moped vehicle that many of the locals use for transportation. I've been wanted to try one and was so glad to have someone to share the experience! We actually rode together not he same one, wind in our hair, along the beautiful 10 min. drive to Bomet. The view of the valley at dusk was just breathtaking. The best part wast that the ride only cost 80 Kenyan shillings, or $0.80 US dollars! She guided me through the town to the fabric shop and after much debate finally chose two pieces of cloth among a throng of beautiful fabric of diverse patterns. The way back to Tenwek we actually took a van and she had to sit on my lap due to the crowded vehicle, and passed through another local town called Silibwet. The sunset was just gorgeous. 

I learned a lot about Vicki in our short visit together and am so inspired, encouraged by her amazing story. 21 yo now, she was an orphan for much of her life and lived at a orphanage from at the age of about 12-18. As a  was actually a patient at Tenwek for quite some time as a child due to severe burns. Her uncles refused to pay her medical bills or care for her after recovery, and one of the local missionary doctors here took it upon himself personally to help her. She was taken in by some local women here for awhile, but unfortunately one of them was sometimes unkind. She then went to the orphanage and received her education by a family who owned the home and a nearby school. She now lives by herself in Tenwek and supports herself. For a while she taught bible classes at the church. She frequently returns to the orphanage to spend time with and encourage the other children there. She offered to take me there one of these upcoming days! I'm so excited!! The amazing thing is that she is just so joyful and at peace and so thankful for the blessings in her life. Rather than turn away from God, she praises Him and seeks to glorify Him with her life. She is so selfless and giving and willing to drop everything to help a stranger in need. She even offered to go back to the town to by some more material needed for the skirts while I was at work the next day!

Just a few short minutes with her and I realized how much I have to be thankful for and how I really don't deserve to complain about anything! 






My beautiful new friend Vicki!
Getting ready to ride the Boda Boda!


Typical early evening scene in village outside Tenwek


No comments:

Post a Comment