Monday, January 4, 2016

"I've Arrived in Africa!"

Wow, can't believe I'm actually in AFRICA! Doesn't seem like it when I'm sitting here but when I mentally visualize a world globe and think about being on the other side of the world in this huge African continent its hard to believe and feels so


far away and doesn't seem real. The journey here was long but bearable. Flights actually passed by quickly with sleeping and movies (one of which was the Intern, which I highly recommend by the way). In preparation for my time of medical service here, there was of course a call for a medical personnel shortly after take off from the US to Qatar when a woman fainted. Two experienced ER nurses and a couple other physicians were on the scene but I felt compelled to stay and help out for a while. Likely vasovagal episode or dehydration and she felt just fine with some fluids and rest.

I was worried that I would miss my flight from Qatar to Nairobi as there was a LONG security line for transferring passenger and I only had an hour before boarding and the "last call" boarding was before I was even close to the vicinity of the terminal. I ran from one end of the airport to the other, praying I would make it in time, and thankfully ended up making it well before the last passengers were trickling in. Praise God!  I will say that during my brief stop at the Doha Airport in Qatar before  heading to Nairobi it was hard to believe I was actually in "The Middle East" and that we flew over such daunting places as Syria, Iraq, and other regions that are all to frequently on the news.

Passing through the Nairobi airport customs, quite the opposite of the expansive, luxury shopping mall like atmosphere of the Doha airport, was surprisingly relatively smooth and seamless.  My friendly and kind driver was there promptly to take me to the hotel. He is one of several Kenyan gentleman here I've already encountered who are impressively polite, courteous and chivalrous.

The hotel, Amani Garden Inn (former Mennonite Guest House) is quaint hotel set in a lusch, beautiful garden. The grounds are just lovely. I even had time for afternoon tea outside while it was still warm. Just my type of place. I went for a short walk and had dinner at a different nearby hotel with a cool outdoor patio. One cool aspect of the Inn is the Christian influence. There is a labryinth in the garden and a sign inside the hotel explained the significance of its symbolism of "spiritual labyrinths." The labyrinth being a place where there is no specific agenda or path but a place where one goes to escape the word around and meet and commune with God in the center, in prayer. Here one is safe and secluded from the world, worries, and hustle and bustle of the outside. As one leaves the labyrinth, or that time of intimate communal with God, then he or she can enter the world again at the other side, refreshed and with a sense of grounding and peace. Pretty cool metaphor! Apparently there are entire books written about the subject.

Tomorrow I look forward in anticipation and some nervousness about the journey to Tenwek and getting oriented at the hospital. I find myself wondering if I will know enough to be able to provide care for the severely ill children, especially premature babies, I will encounter, and if I will be able to teach the residents there something.

I continue to try to surrender to god and know that he will give me the strength and ability to survive each day and utilize my hands, feet, and mind to do his work. He has gotten me through so many big and small challenges already and I know He will continue to do so. I pray for a passion to serve God and share and demonstrate the love of Christ to the staff, patients, and locals I meet over the next few weeks.


3 comments:

  1. It's day 1 and I'm hooked!! From the medical help on the plane to the polite interesting Kenyan driver to the beautiful hotel with a lush garden to enjoy your afternoon tea in.. I can't wait for the next episode!!! Be safe. Stay brave. Trust. ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update! I think I was too late in trying to send you my text message: "Wishing you safe travels and praying that God uses you as his hands and feet! Glad that we can follow your adventure on your blog!" Eagerly looking forward to the next installment. - Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel- I have read every single entry and so inspired by your work and how God is working in and through you! I am so glad you are forming wonderful relationships with the staff and patients! I am praying with you concerning Ezra. The photos are beautiful as well!! I look forward to the next entry!

    ReplyDelete