Wednesday, January 27, 2016

"Farewell Kenya!"

My last 24 hrs at Tenwek were quite emotional—stressful because I was on call that day and had been gone for two days, and trying to pack and say goodbye to everyone. The night in the hospital wasn’t too eventful but there were a few very sick patients that had come in earlier that day. One of whom was a teen girl who came in from another hospital in a comatose state from severe DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis). She was intubated and had suffered two cardiac arrests earlier in the day. She ended up going into further arrests the next morning and passed when the team and her family decided to not continue further attempts at resuscitation. I prayed over her beautiful but lifeless body the morning just before leaving. I had never seen any mortality from DKA in the states, and couldn’t believe that she had such a tragic outcome from this potentially very manageable disease. Another boy was came in with atrial fibrillation and evidence of new heart, renal, and liver failure. His heart rate became very elevated again overnight and I was quite worried bout how to manage his heart rate with the current choice of medications he was on (digoxin) which I have never used to mange atrial fibrillation in the US. Thankfully the dose adjustments I made helped to better control his heart rate overnight. I am disappointed that for him, like many other patients currently on the service, I won’t be able to continue following after a go home. I wish I could stay and help to diagnose and treat these very sick children! I know I am leaving them in very good hands though, which is so encouraging.

Additionally, I did learn Ezra, the little boy with severe HIV and cachexia had passed the day before I arrive back from Safari. I was not very surprised, as he was barely hanging on when I left. I was sad that I hadn’t been there at the time of his passing to say my final goodbye, but at the same time was relieved that his suffering had ended and that now, I pray, he was in paradise with our Lord in a healthy, perfect body.

Despite some of the sad stories, my last day was also dotted with encouraging success stories and recoveries, representative of my entire experience at Tenwek. I was encouraged to see that another boy with HIV and malnutrition was doing much better and his heart failure was now well-controlled. One of my other patients, George, the one recovering from removal of his adrenal tumor (pheochromocytoma) was doing very well and set to go home. It was good to see him laughing and smiling again, unlike a few days earlier when he was in a lot of post-operative pain. I talked to him awhile and he even sang a song for me! (“Jesus loves the little children”) So precious.  Another girl who we’d admitted a few nights ago with febrile seizures was doing well and seizure free, only being treated for a urinary tract infection. Her mother had been so frightened that first night when she witnessed the seizure and we did a lumbar puncture, but I could see newfound relief and joy in her face now, happy that her daughter was okay and thankful for the care she had received.

My last day I was also thankful to be able to say goodbye to my friend Vickie one more time. She came and found me at the hospital and when there was some downtime in the evening we went to the hospital canteen and had Chai and Mandazi (pastry). She told me more about her childhood and the emotional journey she suffered, going back and forth between various aunts and uncles homes and the orphanage. She spoke of terrible verbal and emotional abuse she suffered on behalf of her aunt and uncles, and how she was ridiculed and discouraged throughout much of her childhood, told she would grow up to be “nothing.” Her steadfast faith in Christ is so unbelievable and inspiring. She continues to lives day by day with reliance on Him for her basic needs. I pray there is a way I can continue to keep in touch with her through email. Vickie also took me to say goodbye one more time to Valen, the kind tailor who made my skirts and tops. I also followed Vickie down to the village to say goodbye to Joy—very kind woman worked at the bookshop nearby the tailor. The walk down to her home was a true adventure, down a secret muddy path that wound among tangled fences and gardens. The neighborhood where she lived was comprised of quaint brightly painted shingled homes with tin roofs, all surrounded by lusch gardens and brightly colored clothing drying on the clothes lines. The view of the homes against the setting sun and mountainous backdrop was like a painting. She showed me her home and I learned that although no children herself, she is gracious enough to house her nieces and other women or girls in the community who need a place to stay. I was going to stay for dinner as well but ended up getting paged to go back to the hospital. I am truly amazed again by the Kenyan example of overflowing love and hospitality. A woman of little, she gives what she haves to those who still have less than she. She had embraced me, a stranger from the US, which such kindness and generosity. After having only met her at two weeks ago she was so sad to see me go. It is for reasons such as this that make it hard to stay only for a short time.

How wonderful it would be to stay for months or years and really develop relationships and invest in the people. I am broken hearted at leaving at not knowing when I’ll return. Such is always the dilemma of short-term mission work. I still can’t imagine making the sacrifice of being a long term medical missionary and don’t feel that that is God’s desire for my life, at least at this time. I can’t imagine not returning to these people and this community though, and pray that I can return soon and continue to come serve and be blessed by these people on a regular basis in my future career. 

Gladys, the guest coordinator (aka Superwoman!)


Amazing NICU nurse team
Helen, our amazing cook! Can you come home with me?!

The awesome Peds team!

One of my favorite patients, George! Going home today!


Little Annette and her sweet mom, who is much happier now that her daughter is doing well!
Valen (the tailor), her son, and Vicki!

Trying to catch a view of the hospital before sunrise



A perfect way to wrap up the trip, I was so grateful to have had my same driver, Ephraim, take me back to Nairobi. So much had happened since he drove me out to Tenwek a few weeks before. I had so much to tell him on the way, driving through the beautiful countryside and the dusty villages. I continued to learn more from him about the Kenyan way of life, every bit of information I could soak up. Fascinating was the discussion about the Kenyan circumcision practice and raising children. He also shared his dream of taking his family to the beach at Mombasa this year. He even graciously helped me find an ATM at the airport and find the right terminal that would take me to Qatar. I spent a few hours looking more at beautiful artisan crafts in the airport and finally got to try a Samosa at the airport! (the hospital canteen was always out).


I now sit at one of my favorite local coffee shop in Chapel Hill where there is still a bit of snow on the ground and the chill of winter is in the air, a contrast to the summertime weather in subequatorial Kenya. While happy to have a few conveniences and comforts back, my heart longs to b back in Kenya to have spend some more time experiencing and giving back to the beautiful country and its people. Tataonana baddaye Kenya!  (See you later!)
Last goodbye with Ephraim! 

No comments:

Post a Comment